Monday 17 October 2011

Rainbow Beach

Arrived at Rainbow Beach at around 3.45pm on 10th October and checked in to Frasers On Rainbow, the hostel I would be staying at for 2 nights before my Fraser Island trip, and 1 night after. It was a pretty cool hostel with a pool and a bar.

Had a bit of a lie in the next day before heading out to have a look round the town. It was just one main street with a few shops and restaurants. There were quite a few surf shops so was cool to have a look in those. Went to have a look at the beach too which was gorgeous - took quite a few photos.


It was then time to go back to the hostel for my Fraser Island briefing! We had to watch a really boring video made by the Aussie government about how to safely drive the 4x4, what to do if you see a dingo, and general safety stuff! The guy at the hostel who was telling us about our trip turned the dvd off when it was over and said "What a load of shit hey!" and went on to tell us the basics about Fraser Island. 
We were then put in our groups to get to know each other and sign a few forms. There were 5 of us in my group, me, an Irish girl called Siobhan, an English girl called Laura and two German brothers, Johannes and Uli.

After the briefing me and Siobhan went to buy our alcohol supplies for the trip - a box of goon each! Then a few of us went to the supermarket to get some treats, as although food was provided, stuff like sweets and fruit etc were not.

Later that afternoon I went on a free bushwalk from the hostel to Carlos Sandblow to watch the sunset, it was amazing, I'd never seen so much sand off the beach! Some of the boys went sandboarding which looked fun, but I didn't try as I was wearing a dress! Unfortunately a big cloud blocked the sun before it set, but it was still a pretty good view!



Went for a couple of drinks in the evening with a Welsh couple in my dorm who were also going on the Fraser Island trip, but then went to bed pretty early as we had to be ready to go at 8.30am the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment