Wednesday 27 April 2011

Rain rain, go away!

Had a pretty miserable few days in Sydney weather-wise! It was a horrible day on Saturday so in the morning all I did was venture out to the supermarket to get some food. I couldn’t believe the price of meat, it was so expensive. So I won’t be cooking much of that while I’m here!
In the afternoon, me and a girl from YHA decided to go to the Royal Easter Show, which to be honest, was a bit of a let down! Definitely not worth the $34 paid to get in. It was mostly tacky stalls and fair ground rides with a couple of rubbish animal shows thrown in here and there! Not impressed!

On Sunday I moved from Sydney Central YHA to Wake Up Hostel. I’m now in a 10 bed mixed dorm! I’ve been lucky so far that no one has been noisy so I’ve slept pretty well. It was a sunny day so I decided to head to The Rocks Markets that I had been wanting to see. There were some gorgeous things - dresses, jewellery etc. I could have spent a lot of money! But I was good and just looked.
After a couple of hours wondering round the market I got the ferry over to Watson’s Bay. I’d been told about a place called Doyles which apparently has the best fish and chips in Sydney, so I had to try it! It definitely lived up to expectations, I ordered a Combo Pack which had calamari, fish and chips. It was tasty!



After my food I decided to have a walk round and stumbled across a part of Sydney Harbour National Park called The Gap. It was a lovely bit of coastline so I walked along and took afew photographs! Even managed to convince a Japanese tourist to take my photo as up until then I had no photos of me in Australia!



Monday was another miserable day, but it was also Anzac Day, which is a big thing in Sydney. It remembers all the Australian soldiers who’ve fought in the 1st World War. So on my way to the Art Gallery of New South Wales (which was very good) I watched the Anzac Day Parade. It was amazing how many people were there marching along the streets of Sydney, all wearing various medals and looking very proud!



Yesterday I went over to Coogee Beach where the OzIntro office is. I met up with a girl in my group also staying at Wake Up and we got the bus. The beach at Coogee is lovely, and the sun actually came out! We took a few photos of the beach then went for lunch at a place called Fives Os where I had marinated steak with chips and salad, for $9.90 - bargain! And it tasted amazing too!



After lunch we headed to the OzIntro office where we used some of the free internet then got our welcome packs including our Aussie sim cards. So my Australian mobile number is now in use! I really can’t wait to start OzIntro this week. Getting the welcome pack with the itinerary made me look forward to it more! I just hope the weather is good! Went out for drinks in the evening with 3 other girls doing OzIntro so it was nice to meet them before we actually start the week!

Today was another rainy day so I went to the Sydney Fish Markets and had some lovely sushi for lunch! Stayed there for just under 2 hours as it was raining lots outside! Had a look round some of the shops in the city centre this afternoon and discovered a really good clothes shop called Cotton On. It’s really cheap and had lots of nice things! So when I need new clothes, that’s where I’ll go!



I need to pack my bag yet again this evening as tomorrow I’m moving to my hostel in Coogee where I’ll be staying for the next 11 nights. I’m looking forward to staying somewhere that has free breakfast! One less meal for me to worry about :) 

1 comment:

  1. The sushi looks awesome! Another very interesting blog post, i get to read about stuff you have forgotten to tell me! The $34 ticket to that show was crazy, but the cowboy display looked kind of cool! Anyway glad your having fun, looking forward to the next update! Love you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete