Friday 4 November 2011

Magnetic Island

Early start on 26th, got the bus at 7am from Airlie Beach to Townsville. Arrived at about 11.30am but had to wait about 2 hours to get the ferry over to Magnetic Island.
The ferry journey took about 20 minutes, and once I got to Magnetic Island I checked into Base Hostel which was right on the beach! The dorms were all in little cabins and there was a swimming pool and bar both overlooking the beach.
After I'd got settled I went for a walk over to Picnic Bay. It was a pretty little beach area but it was like a ghost town, all the beach front shops and cafes were closed and there was no one around! It was a bit creepy. So I took a few photos then walked back to the hostel. Went for a drink in the bar in the evening as it was ladies night so all the girls got free cocktails!

Picnic Bay

The next day I bought a day ticket for the bus and set off to explore more of the island. I went on the Forts Walk which is well known for being able to see wild koalas! It was quite a tiring walk and flip flops probably weren't the best footwear, but it was worth it because I saw 3 koalas!!! They were really cute. The walk took about 2 hours and went up a hill to a fort overlooking most of the island, so there were some pretty good views!



After the walk I got the bus over to Horseshoe Bay which is the opposite end of the island to my hostel. It was a really nice beach with lots of watersports etc. I treated myself to some chips and sat on the beach watching the world go by! I then got the bus back to the hostel where I chilled out for a bit before going to get my free meal for tea! I decided to be healthy and have a chicken salad seeing as I'd eaten so many chips for lunch! I had an early night as the next evening was the full moon party!

Horseshoe Bay

On Friday I decided to take advantage of the free snorkel hire so got the bus to Florence Bay, but it was about a half hour walk from the bus stop, up some quite steep hills and in 30 degree heat - not fun! And when I got there and went in the sea the visibility was rubbish as the water was really sandy, so I couldn't see anything! So I just sunbathed on the beach for a while.

Florence Bay

That evening it was party time! As it was Halloween it was a fancy dress party. I met some cool people in my dorm so hung out with them most of the evening, they were all dressed as crayons which was pretty funny! I was a pirate :) I also bumped into a few people I'd met up the coast which was nice. But it was such an expensive night! Tickets were $20, and drinks were stupidly expensive. They were mimicking the Thailand full moon parties by serving drinks in buckets! But instead of being really cheap like in Thailand, they were $15 a bucket, and it was just a double vodka and coke!! Oh well, it was still a fun night up until I managed to break my camera! So I don't have any photos of the party :(

Think I got to bed at about 4am, and had to check out the next morning at 10am. I didn't get out of bed until about 9:50 so it was a bit of a rush getting packed and ready. But it was an exciting day as I was meeting my sister in Mission Beach!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment