Sunday 15 July 2012

First AFL game!

Haven't written on here for aaaages. Think this is the first time in a while that I've actually done something worth blogging about! I went to an AFL game! For those of you who don't know, AFL is the Australian Football League, which is HUGE in Melbourne.


First of all I had to pick a footy team. Apparently if you live in Melbourne, you have to pick a team! I had no idea which team to go for. Luckily one of our regular customers at the cupcake shop brought in a questionnaire which determined which team was the right one for me! I can't remember that many of the questions - they were pretty random, but because I like cats, I ended up with the Geelong Cats!


So yesterday evening I went to my first game! Geelong Vs Collingwood, or Cats Vs Pies!



I was looking forward to the game as apparently Collingwood fans are notoriously 'bogan' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan) so I was told it would be an interesting atmosphere.

The game was at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, which is huuuuge, and we were sat right at the top. Had a pretty cool view though!


The area we were sat in was mixed so was full of both Cats and Pies supporters. Considering what I'd heard about Collingwood supporters, the crowd seemed surpisingly tame, though there were a couple of Pies fans sat a few rows in front of us who were pretty loud, so that was funny. Probably the thing that amused me most about the whole experience was before the game even started, both teams run on to the pitch to their team songs... which are SO cringeworthy!!! This is the song for Geelong:



Anyway, the game itself was a bit of a disaster with Collingwood completely thrashing Geelong by over 30 points! It didn't take long to pick up the basics of how the game works, but parts still confuse me a bit! I could still tell Geelong were playing pretty badly though! I want to go again and see Geelong actually win! Overall though I really enjoyed it, the atmosphere was way more chilled out and there were way less angry fans than there would be at a British football match. So now I feel slightly more Australian for having been to an AFL game! 


No comments:

Post a Comment